Canary accused of attacking mother
EDMOND, Okla. — An Edmond man is facing a charge of domestic abuse after police said he attacked his own mother.
Monday night, Edmond Police were called to the 300 block of E. 6th St. for a domestic disturbance.
When they arrived, neighbors reported a small grass fire and a man who had tried to set his mother on fire.
The suspect is 34-year-old Gary Canary.
Edmond Police Sergeant Chad Langley said, “It seems the whole thing started with a domestic over a computer. The son became agitated and threw a gas can at his mother.”
According to neighbors, Canary doused his mom with gasoline and then waved a lighter in the air.
Police said Canary lit a cigarette and tossed it in the direction of his mom.
Edmond Police report numerous emergency calls to the residence.
The victim escaped the attack before she caught fire.
She drove to a home several blocks away from the scene.
According to court records, mother refused to give officers her gas-soaked clothing to be used in the case against her son.
The victim was not treated for any injuries.
Canary was checked at the hospital and arrested.
- One arrested while federal agents surround a N.W. OKC home
- Alleged murder for hire plot leads to two more hazmat scares in metro
- Businessman buys out part of Oklahoma City Thunder
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- 'I just lost it;' Officials said man killed wife of 56 years because she was 'nagging' him