Hail causes Edmond hotel fire
EDMOND, Okla. — Something smaller than a golf ball sparked a major fire that destroyed an Edmond hotel.
Officials said a piece of hail hit a neon sign at the Stratford House Inn, which caused a small fire early Wednesday morning.
An employee was able to put out the flames but it re-ignited.
When firefighters arrived at the hotel off Broadway and 33rd St., flames were shooting through the roof.
“Here in Edmond we see a lot of fires due to lightning,” Kelly Lewis said, Edmond Fire Department. “That’s a very common cause so everybody I talked to today says, ‘Oh was it another lightning strike?’”
The severe weather may have also played a role in a fire at the Red Rock Canyon Grill near Lake Hefner Wednesday morning.
Firefighters can’t say for sure but lightning may have started the fire.
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- GRAPHIC: Oklahoma man said he found his stolen mule tied to tree, starved to death
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City