STROUD, Okla. — A blissful firework show in Stroud takes a turn for the worse as several people are injured.
It happened at Foster Park Wednesday night.
The victims of a malfunctioning firework are normally the people who run to help others, but it was the first responders who needed help.
Volunteer firefighters where putting on the show for the city when a dud firework suddenly detonated. They ran for cover but couldn’t escape the flying sparks and shrapnel.
They sustained facial injuries, flesh burns and some had particles lodged in their skin.
Police Chief Clint Gaylord says, “Seven were hurt all together, five of them were Stroud firefighters and two were from Milfay. He continues, They all had minor injuries mostly burns to the extremities. One had a burn to the face. They were all treated locally.”
Officials don’t know exactly what went wrong but John Murfin who’s an expert talked to us about likely scenarios.
“Companies make 4 inch shells and 3 inch shells. If you accidentally put a 3 inch shell in a 4 inch shell it doesn’t get the pressure that it needs. What happens is, instead of shooting a hundred feet it probably shoots 20 feet and that’s how people get hurt who are standing by.”
Stroud wasn’t the only city to have firework injuries.
A man in Yukon suffered first degree burns on his face and EMSA reports responding to a woman and small girl who sustained facial burns.
There is also report of a man in Wellston loosing his thumb.
Gaylord says in all the years they’ve had a shows nothing like this has ever happened.The volunteer firefighters are expected to be okay.