Saving a Buck: Dollar store deals
If you’re not a dollar store shopper, you are probably missing out.
We’ve found shopping at dollar stores is a whole different experience these days.
Consumer Reports Shop-Smart surveyed 1,500 women and found about 75 percent of them are shopping at dollar stores more than they used to.
Favorite purchases: paper and plastic goods, cleaning products, party supplies, storage items and toiletries.
Shop-Smart also sent out secret shoppers to check prices on 38 everyday products.
They shopped at Dollar General and Family Dollar and then compared the prices at Walmart, Target and some supermarkets.
They found Walart had the lowest prices on the most items and supermarkets had the highest prices by far.
However, they found the dollar store prices were really competitive.
In fact Dollar General had the best deals on these five products, with savings anywhere from 12 percent all the way up to 28 percent.
Shop-Smart finds you can save even more on private-label brands at dollar stores.
The survey shows the biggest complaint among the women surveyed was limited selection and availability.
But dollar stores are working hard to change that, stocking up on more big, brand-name products and rolling out new stores across the country.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- PHOTOS: Missed the Blood Moon? Watch this time lapse
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'