Family, prosecutors protest convicted killer’s release

Posted on: 6:12 pm, July 24, 2012, by , updated on: 06:28pm, July 24, 2012

Man convicted of murder could be released

CHICKASHA, Okla. — Family members and prosecutors are protesting the possible parole of a convicted killer, a man who has served a little more than 16 years of a life sentence. 

Back in 1995 a Grady County jury convicted the man of first degree murder, and he was sentenced to life in prison. 

Today if he were convicted of the same crime, he would have to serve 85 percent of that life sentence before even being considered for parole.

However, last week the pardon and parole board voted 3-2 for his release.

Now all it will take is the governor to sign off on it. 

“There’s never a day that goes by that I don’t relive that hell,” Louise Johnson said.

Johnson and her family believe they will be reliving it even more now that convicted killer Quincy Foster is one signature away from freedom.

A jury found Foster guilty of first-degree murder when he gunned down Johnson’s daughter, Deborah Dennis, behind a convenience store in Chickasha in 1993.

“He pointed it at me twice, and it misfired, and then he turned it on her, and I saw the gun and the flash,” Johnson said.

Frustrated because all Dennis had in her pocket was 24 cents, Foster pointed the gun at her and this time it fired.

“He then took his firearm, pointed it at Ms. Johnson’s daughter, Deborah Dennis, and pulled the trigger and murdered her in cold blood,” Grady County District Attorney Jason Hicks said.

Foster went on the run for more than a year and after appearing on America’s Most Wanted, he was finally caught in Salt Lake City.

Now, if the governor signs off on his release, he will hit the streets once again.

“I find it appalling that this board would recommend that we put this man back in the community,” Hicks said.

“How in the name of God they can let this man loose is beyond me,” Johnson said.

The governor has up to 120 days to approve Foster’s release.