Hundreds evacuated for downtown OKC gas leak
OKLAHOMA CITY — According to the Oklahoma City Fire Department, a construction crew working in the 200 block of Couch Dr. hit a gas line about 9 a.m. Friday morning.
Workers in several nearby office buildings started to smell the odor of natural gas.
About 500 workers were evacuated as a precaution, while Oklahoma Natural Gas crews shut off the gas.
The majority of the evacuees work in the City Place building.
“I hear somebody banging on the door and these firemen are like, ‘You need to get out,’” Karen Garcia said.
Oklahoma City Fire Battalion Chief Chris Goodwin said the construction crew hit an eight-inch gas line with a backhoe.
Hundreds of workers from downtown office buildings gathered in front of Leadership Square, waiting for word about when they could go back to work.
About 10:20 a.m. crews gave the workers the all clear to re-enter their office buildings.
Some workers said they could still smell natural gas as they went back to work.
No injuries reported.
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car