Hazardous leak evacuates downtown industrial area
OKLAHOMA CITY — An industrial area east of downtown was evacuated earlier this afternoon for a potentially hazardous leak of liquid oxygen.
Workers were filling a cryogenic tank when the line broke, allowing the freezing liquid oxygen to escape into the air on the 1100 block of E. Reno Ave.
About 30 people in two businesses were evacuated as a precaution because the oxygen can act as an accelerant and is highly flammable and reactive.
Officials let the oxygen dissipate in order to clear the scene.
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- TRAGIC: Man dies from injuries after being hit with his own vehicle
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online