78-year-old man arrested in drug raid
SHAWNEE, Okla. — Shawnee police said they’ve put a dent in their town’s drug problem after a large-scale raid last Friday.
Thirty different officers were involved in the raid early Friday morning.
Two people were arrested and police said more arrests could be coming.
Police said this started when an informant purchased methamphetamine from a woman living on the property at 1201 E. Farrall.
The Shawnee Police Department began planning a large-scale raid for the next morning, feeling it was too dangerous to carry it out at night.
“We didn’t know how many people were going to be in the compound and the informant saw weapons,” Chief Russell Frantz said.” We didn’t want to take any chances with that.”
There are several campers and trailers on the property and police weren’t sure how many were occupied.
Two officers crept in from the woods the night before to conduct surveillance and they even observed from the air.
“We got assistance from the National Guard, helicopter came in, did a fly over for us that morning. Took an aerial photograph and monitored the raid as it went down that morning,” Chief Frantz said.
Police said they found drugs and weapons on the property and arrested two people, Tommy McInturff, 78, the owner of the property and Jenell Howell, 47, the woman who allegedly sold drugs to the police informant.
Chief Frantz said this is the second time they’ve raided property owned by McInturff.
“It’s obvious that he’s inviting people that do this type of activity onto his property and we’re just not going to tolerate that.”
We spoke with McIntuff after he bonded out of jail as he was sifting through his ransacked trailer.
He said he believes the police wasted a lot of manpower and money.
While he admits there were drugs on the property, he said police only found small amounts and they weren’t dealing them.
But McInturff has to find a new place for now because code enforcement officers with the city of Shawnee also came out to the property and declared it unsafe for habitation.
They had OG&E shut off the power to the compound after finding extension cords crisscrossing the property.