FOUND: Missing Missouri girl found, Amber Alert canceled
OKLAHOMA CITY — Authorities have canceled the Amber Alert; the missing Missouri girl has been found safe in Missouri’s Butler County.
Registered sex offender, 45-year-old Jeffrey Dean Shelton, accused of abducting 5-year-old Abigail Berthoff, is in custody.
Police said Shelton took the child around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Abigail’s mother last saw her at around 10 p.m. when she put her to bed.
According to police, Abigail was missing when she woke up.
According to the Missouri Highway Patrol sex offender registry, Shelton was convicted in 1990 of kidnapping a 12-year-old in Fort Hood, Texas.
He was also found guilty of rape, attempted kidnapping and two counts of sodomy.
According to the Butler County Sheriff’s Department Shelton is wanted for abduction and assault against another person.
A Facebook Page, Find Abigail, was established for information about Abigail’s abduction.
- Butler County Sheriff’s Department at (573) 785-8444
- Poplar Bluff Police Department at (573) 785-5776.
- Oklahoma father finds mother, 3-year-old daughter dead in garage, saves 5-year-old son
- UPDATE: Did one of Oklahoma's famous couples find another home in a different state?
- Man sues McDonald's for $1.5 million over napkin incident
- WATCH: Guy gives homeless man winning lottery ticket, man insists they share winnings