Ruling given on Okla. consent law
OKLAHOMA CITY—A judge recently made a critical ruling about a state law that makes it illegal for teachers to have sex with students.
The Constitutional challenge came after Tyrone Nash, a former Western Heights teacher and basketball coach, was accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.
Before the jury had a chance to hear the case, attorney David Slane challenged the law.
Slane claimed that since the student was over the age of consent, the relationship was not illegal.
However, Judge Jerry Bass upheld the current law, which forbids any sexual relationship between a teacher and a student, even if the student is of age.
Slane said, “We’re disappointed with the judge’s ruling. We respectfully disagree.”
Nash is charged with five counts of rape and five counts of oral sodomy.
His trial will begin in March.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'