Remembering May 20th, 5 years later
Temperatures to climb back up over the next few days
Watch KFOR Live Interactive Radar

Fire chances increase approaching holidays

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

With two weeks until Christmas, Oklahomans are now feeling the frigid temperatures of December.  

Officials with the Oklahoma Insurance Commission said the colder weather could cause a lot of damage to your home in the event of a fire.

Proper maintenance for your heating system is the best way to make sure your home is ready for the winter weather.

Last year, insurance companies paid out over $90 million in claims for fire-related damages.

The Oklahoma City Fire Department has a few tips to help protect your family and your property as you turn up the heat.

  • Keep flammable objects away from furnaces, fireplaces and other heating units.
  • Clean or replace the furnace filter and clean entire furnace area to remove debris.
  • Have heating units inspected by a licensed contractor.
  • Clean fireplaces and chimneys.
  • Before going to bed at night, check that fires are completely out and space heaters have proper ventilation.
  • Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working properly. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, get one.
  • Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home. Place them in a metal container outside and well away from the house.
  • Never use a range or an oven as a supplemental heating device. Not only is it a safety hazard, it can be a source of potentially toxic fumes.
  • If you use an electric heater, be sure not to overload the circuit. Only use extension cords which have the necessary rating to carry the amp load. TIP: Choose an extension cord the same size or larger than the appliance electrical cord.

Many fire department offer free smoke detectors, batteries and installation to residents who ask.