OKLAHOMA CITY – Firefighters were able to quickly douse a grass fire in northwest Oklahoma City Sunday afternoon but not before it crept under the fences of several homes in the College Park neighborhood.
The neighborhood, located near Hefner and Western, has several areas that are undeveloped.
The fire started in a row of fields in between two streets with houses near N.W. 112th and Lee.
Now residents said the near miss highlights a big problem in their neighborhood.
In a section of the field, dry grass is growing high and out of control.
Members of the neighborhood association said they want something done about it.
“Nothing’s been done and then there’s the results of not being responsible and being taken care of, what happens? A fire,” Mike Elgin said.
Elgin said members of their association have been complaining to the city for eight now months now with no action.
“Seven years ago, this particular lot caught on fire, set three condominiums over there on fire,” he said. “Those families would not have lost their homes, had this grass been cut.”
Elgin said homeowners are responsible for mowing 12 feet behind their fence line and the person who owns the rest of the land is responsible for what they own.
And he said some residents are shirking their duty, putting the rest of the neighborhood at risk.
He said Sunday afternoon, the neighborhood dodged a bullet.
“You saw how close it got to those houses,” he said. “What if it would have got into their backyards and into their houses?”
The College Park Neighborhood Association wants the city to come mow the grass and bill the property owners.
Firefighters are looking into reports that Sunday’s grass fire was caused by juveniles setting off fireworks in the field.