18 human heads found at airport in Chicago
By: Kennedy Ryan for KTLA
CHICAGO – A total of 18 frozen human heads were discovered and seized during a routine x-ray security procedure at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport.
As ghoulish as that may sound, it turns out the heads were used for medical research in Italy.
They were being returned to Illinois for cremation.
According to the Associated Press, this practice is actually commonplace.
KTLA reports customs held the shipment in late Dec. because of incomplete paperwork.
The heads had been embalmed and were packaged in three blue coolers shipped from Rome on a Lufthansa Airlines flight about a week before Christmas, according to Tony Brucci, chief of investigations for the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger