Norman community ahead of tornado season
NORMAN, Okla. – It might be winter now but this week’s mild weather reminds us spring is right around the corner.
Unfortunately, that means tornado season as well.
One Norman neighborhood is ahead of the storm with a unique “community” shelter.
The Fiddlers Green Homeowners Association decided back in October to construct this above-ground shelter.
The neighborhood opted for an above-ground shelter instead of below ground because this is a retirement community.
Many of the residents aren’t able to climb stairs.
The shelter was designed to withstand an EF 5 tornado.
The walls are about eight inches of concrete and the entire building is reinforced with about 20,000 pounds of steel.
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- TRAGIC: Man dies from injuries after being hit with his own vehicle
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online