Child alive, kidnapper killed in standoff ending
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. (WSFA) – Reports are coming out that the hostage situation, involving a 5-year-old boy, in Alabama is over.
Witnesses near the scene reported hearing a loud explosion and an ambulance was seen leaving the scene.
Authorities say the crisis is over and reports indicate the child is “okay” and the kidnapper is dead.
Last week, a gunman, later identified as 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, stormed a school bus and demanded two children.
The bus driver, Charles Poland Jr. refused and blocked the aisle so at least 21 children could escape out of the back door.
Poland was shot four times before Dykes grabbed the 5-year-old victim and barricaded himself in a nearby bunker.
- One arrested while federal agents surround a N.W. OKC home
- Alleged murder for hire plot leads to two more hazmat scares in metro
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Businessman buys out part of Oklahoma City Thunder
- 'I just lost it;' Officials said man killed wife of 56 years because she was 'nagging' him