8.0-magnitude quake sparks deadly tsunami
SOLOMON ISLANDS (CNN)—An 8.0-magnitude quake was recorded just off the coast of the Solomon Islands, which sparked a tsunami.
Authorities say four people and one child were killed after a 3-foot high wave hit the Santa Cruz Islands.
The waves caused damage to nearby towns and the area airport.
A few aftershocks were felt shortly after the massive earthquake, with largest one recording a magnitude of 6.6, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- PHOTOS: Missed the Blood Moon? Watch this time lapse