Simple cure in the works for peanut allergy
People with a peanut allergy would never put peanuts in their mouth but they may be cured from peanut allergies by putting it under their tongue.
Shelley Freeman’s son, Stormer, was just a little guy when he was diagnosed with a peanut allergy.
But eight years later, he can have any kind of peanut product he wants.
Stormer said, “Yeah, I really like Reese’s cups.”
His success comes from participating in a study of “sublingual immunotherapy” at the University of North Carolina’s School of Medicine.
Researchers put tiny amounts of liquefied peanut under the tongue of those with peanut allergies.
They would slowly increase the amount of peanut exposure, teaching the immune system there is nothing to fear.
Dr. Wesley Burks, M.D., University of North Carolina’s School of Medicine, said, “Holding it under the tongue allows it to be absorbed into our immune system in a faster and better way.’
While sublingual immunotherapy is promising, clinical use is still years away.
Dr. Burks said, “What we know about children and adults that have peanut allergy is that they can have an unknown severe reaction at any time.”
Officials say the therapy didn’t work for nearly a third of the 40 study participants.
However, Stormer graduated from the program and continues to try new peanut products every day.
Shelley Freeman said, “He can have candy bars, he can have anything that’s processed with peanuts now. So that’s opened up a whole new world for him.”