Free shredding at Capitol for Consumer Protection Day
OKLAHOMA CITY – Attorney General Scott Pruitt and Shred-it® will be providing free document shredding on Thursday at the State Capitol during Oklahoma Consumer Protection Day.
You can shred your documents for free from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Capitol’s south lawn.
Inside the Capitol on the second floor, consumer experts and local, state and federal law enforcement officials will be on hand to answer questions on how to avoid fraud, scams and identity theft.
The Attorney General’s Office also will announce this year’s recipient of the Brad Edwards Consumer Champion Award with Brad’s daughter, Ashton Edwards, and Scott Hines and the In Your Corner Team.
“Shredding financial and personal documents is a necessary step in avoiding costly identity theft, which unfortunately hits thousands of residents and families across Oklahoma each year,” Pruitt said. “This is a serious crime that can have long-lasting consequences. It’s crucial for consumers to be aware and take precautionary measures.”
Below are tips from the Attorney General’s Public Protection Unit to help avoid ID theft:
- Never give personal information over the telephone unless you have made the call;
- Destroy documents with credit card or bank account information;
- Destroy pre-approved credit card applications;
- If you order pre-printed checks, pick them up at the bank rather than having them mailed;
- Check your credit report once a year;
- Monitor bank and credit card accounts more than once a month;
- Only shop online at secure websites; and
- Never use information such as birth dates, last four digits of your social security number or phone numbers as pin numbers or passwords on accounts.
- Oklahoma father finds mother, 3-year-old daughter dead in garage, saves 5-year-old son
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- UPDATE: Did one of Oklahoma's famous couples find another home in a different state?
- Man sues McDonald's for $1.5 million over napkin incident