Snow closing roads in northwestern Okla.
OKLAHOMA CITY—While most of the roadways throughout central Oklahoma are clear, the winter weather is still causing problems in the northwestern part of the state.
Officials with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation say crews are in Cimarron, Texas, Woods, Alfalfa and Major counties and are reporting slick and hazardous roadways.
The following highways are still closed as of Tuesday morning:
- Garfield/Alfalfa counties: SH-45 is closed between the Garfield County line and SH-8 in Alfalfa County.
- Alfalfa County: US-64 and SH-11 are both closed.
- Noble County: SH-15 is closed between US-77 and I-35.
- Harper County: Northbound US-283 is closed between US-64 and Englewood, Kan.
- Texas County: US-412 east of Guymon is closed
- Beaver County: All highways are closed.
- Harper County: All highways are closed.
- Ellis County: All highways are closed.
- Woodward County: All highways are closed.
Crews expect to make vast improvements to the roads throughout the day but travel is strongly discouraged at this time.
Drivers are encouraged to check the weather conditions before heading out and allow extra time for each trip.
Motorists are asked to follow a few simple steps to stay safe while traveling in the snow.
- Check road conditions before heading out on the roads.
- Stay at least 200 feet behind road-clearing equipment; crews need room to maneuver and can begin plowing or spreading materials on the roads without notice.
- Allow extra space between vehicles, so there is adequate distance for braking in wet and icy conditions.
- Be aware of “black ice,” which looks wet on the roadway but is actually a thin layer of ice.
- Please be patient, plan trips ahead and allow extra time to reach destinations.
For updated road conditions, call Department of Public Safety’s Road Conditions Hotline 888-425-2385.
Out-of-State Road Conditions:
Arkansas: (800) 245-1672
Colorado: (303) 639-1111
Kansas: (866) 511-5368
Missour: (800) 222-6400
New Mexico: (800) 432-4269
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- PHOTOS: Missed the Blood Moon? Watch this time lapse
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'