EDMOND, Okla. - Around 2 p.m. Sunday, tenants of the Sunset Ridge Apartments got quite a jolt.
Without warning, the windows blew out of unit 226.
Police spokesperson Jenny Monroe said, "He tells detectives he was cooking chicken nuggets in the skillet while filling his butane lighter."
When police went to investigate, they discovered it was much more than a harmless cooking accident.
Drug agents said Derek Wayne Hofford was making "hash oil."
It's a dangerous process of using butane to extract marijuana of its potent resin.
The oil contains up to 80 percent THC, making it 10 times stronger than high-grade weed.
"We've asked them why they do it," Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics spokesman Mark Woodward said. "They say because people are getting a tolerance for marijuana and they need something to increase the potency. There is a demand on the street so more people are manufacturing hash oil to meet the demand."
Butane is highly flammable.
Throw in a small spark and poor ventilation and you get a large blast similar to a pipe bomb.
"It can be really dangerous," neighbor Derrick Cross said. "I don't know what this guy was thinking. He probably thought he was in his house, he wouldn't get caught."
The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics said this is Oklahoma's first reported "hash oil" explosion.
They fear it won't be the last with an uptick in this dangerous high.
Suspect, Derek Hofford is facing several charges including manufacturing CDS, possession of marijuana and public intoxication.