AG’s Public Protection Unit on avoiding ‘identity hacking’
The Secret Service and the FBI are looking into what appears to be a case of identity hacking.
Authorities said a website is posting what is claims is personal and financial information of several government officials and celebrities.
First Lady Michelle Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are just two of more than a dozen high-profile names on the list.
But this isn’t a crime that only affects celebrities and government officials.
Julie Bays with the Oklahoma Attorney General’s Public Protection Unit said people right here in Oklahoma are victims of this very crime.
She said there are a few ways everyone should protect themselves:
- Never give out your personal information over the phone or internet
- Destroy expired credit cards, bank statements and anything that has your personal information on it that you don’t need for your records
- Check your credit report often
- Change your passwords
If you are a victim:
- Place a fraud alert on your credit reports
- Call the police
- Call your bank
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission