Lawmaker wants to make lion meat illegal
Did you know eating lion meat is not illegal in the US?
But one lawmaker wants to ban it in Illinois.
Illinois State Rep. Luis Arroyo proposed the bill to the state’s general assembly last month.
If the lion meat act passes, Illinois will become the first state to forbid lion slaughter, making it illegal to serve or sell lion meat.
Offenders would face a year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500 if convicted.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, lions are not currently protected as an endangered cat in the U.S.
There are no laws prohibiting its sale.
The Food and Drug Administration categorizes lion as a “game meat.”
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Parent's worst nightmare caught on camera as alleged burglar breaks into nursery
- WATCH: Why you don't take a 'selfie' right next to a moving train
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring