Fire destroys sisters’ homes
WASHINGTON, Okla. – Two sisters are trying to rebuild their lives after a fire destroyed both of their homes.
The blaze began Tuesday morning in McClain County.
Sifting through the rubble that once was her home, Dena Thornburg holds back tears.
Everything she worked for is charred.
“It absolutely kills me,” she said. “The clothes, the furniture, that’s replaceable, but the memories and sentimental stuff I can never get back.”
Thornburg lived in a conjoined home with her sister, Danielle Thornburg, and her 2-year-old and 8-month-old nieces.
So when the electrical fire sparked both of their belongings were destroyed.
The sisters and two little girls weren’t home when the fire broke out but the family pets, a cat and rabbit named “Bun,” didn’t make it.
Mother and grandmother, Donnita Thornburg, watched, thankful her family was out safe.
“I could have been collapsed out in the driveway waiting for them to bring my children out and that’s just too much too much to bear,” she said.
Now the sisters can only dig for any piece of their past, thankful their family survived.
You can donate at the Bank of Oklahoma under Thornburg Family Relief Fund, or
if you want to donate baby items or household goods and food, you can do so at United Grocery Store in Purcell.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger