Experts concerned after Bald Eagle poisoned
NOBLE, Okla. – A bald eagle was poisoned earlier this month despite efforts of rescue workers to save it.
The poisoning of our national emblem is not a good sign for the safety of Oklahomans.
Rhondi Large said she makes it her mission to help heal animals struggling to survive.
When the bald eagle was brought to WildCare for treatment, Large knew right away something was very wrong.
“She just didn’t have the fight,” Large said. “She didn’t have the spunk, the fire, that normally they would have.”
Despite everything Large and her team could do, a few days later the bird died.
The cause? High levels of lead and rat poison.
“She was just way too toxic for us to be able to pull through,” she said.
This poisoning isn’t just a problem for animals, it’s a big problem for people as well.
Because animals often act as sentinels for humans, the death of one by man-made substances raises warning signs.
“The birds are eating fish and we’re out there catching fish and eating our fish when we catch them, having fish frys out on the campsites,” Large said. “That’s the same thing these birds are having. It does make you think twice.”
Large said WildCare treats a few bald eagles every year before they’re released back into the wild.
But she’s seeing more and more coming in that have been poisoned, a trend she said is tragic and alarming.
“It’s horrible that we lost another eagle, our national symbol, it’s horrible that we lost another life on the planet,” she said. “We really need to be concerned about what we`re putting out there in the environment.”
You can catch their spring baby shower Saturday, April 27, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
7601 84th St.
You’ll be able to see hundreds of wild animals in various stages of recovery and tour their seven-acre facility.
The event has no admission fee and donations are welcome.
The WildCare baby shower is one of only two days they’re open to the public for tours.