Norman students overdose on prescription medication
NORMAN, Okla. – Four Norman High School students were rushed to a hospital Monday morning following an apparent prescription drug overdose, according to Norman Public Schools.
Spokesperson Shelly Hickman said those drugs appeared to come from a parent’s medicine cabinet.
She said not long after classes started at 9 a.m., a teacher noticed a female student acting lethargic and slurring her words.
After questioning, that student eventually admitted that she and other students took medications brought to the school by fellow students.
At least two of those medications identified were Xanax and Flexeril, sedatives and muscle relaxers.
The four students, whose names and grade levels were not disclosed, were transported to the hospital.
A hospital spokesperson said they were treated and released “very quickly.”
“We have a zero tolerance policy,” she said. “If a student brings medication like this on campus and gives it to another student, there is no second chance. They are suspended for two semesters.”
Two students were taken in for questioning by Norman police.
Because taking high doses of medications, or mixing them, is potentially lethal, one paramedic at the high school urged parents to protect their medications from their children as they would a firearm.
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online
- GRAPHIC LANGUAGE: Okla. Air Force Base declares controversial steak restaurant "off limits"