Utility company repairing damage after explosion downtown
OKLAHOMA CITY – An underground transformer exploded sparking a small fire in downtown Oklahoma City Friday night.
Oklahoma Gas and Electric workers were working in the tunnel below the street when the transformer malfunctioned near Park Ave. and Broadway.
Witnesses saw smoke and flames coming up through an opening in the sidewalk.
Oklahoma City Fire Department Battalion Chief Tommy Lago said there were three people in the tunnel.
All of them are OK.
“They went down about 12 to 15 feet,” Lago said. “There is an underground tunnel under there that holds all the utilities down there and that’s where the equipment is and that’s where the transformer was that caught on fire.”
Authorities blocked off a section of Park Ave. for about an hour Friday night.
OG&E crews are working to repair the damage.