UPDATE: Justice Dept. says no official arrests in Boston bombings
After confirming an arrest has been made in the Boston Marathon bombings, CNN is now saying there was some confusion and the Department of Justice said no one has officially been arrested.
(CNN) - There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings.
A federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend that someone was arrested.
But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.
However officials did say they may have identified a suspect.
Details about the suspect’s identity and motive were not immediately available.
Investigators identified the suspect based on two videos taken before Monday’s attack, the federal law enforcement source told CNN.
One of the videos was surveillance footage taken at the nearby Lord & Taylor department store, the other was shot by a Boston television station, a source who has has been briefed on the investigation told CNN.
The development came after a chaotic day in which investigators revealed more details about the makeup of the bombs and apparently unrelated scares over letters containing ricin gripped the nation’s Capitol.
The bombs exploded 12 seconds apart near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding about 180 others.
One of the bombs was housed in a pressure cooker hidden inside a backpack, the FBI said in a joint intelligence bulletin.
The device also had fragments that may have included nails, BBs and ball bearings, the agency said.
The second bomb was also housed in a metal container, but it was not clear whether it too was in a pressure cooker, the FBI said.