Motorcyclist killed in seven-vehicle wreck on I-240
OKLAHOMA CITY – One man is dead after a seven-car pile up Tuesday morning.
It happened south of Tinker Air Force Base on westbound I-240 between Air Depot and Sooner Roads just before 6 a.m.
Oklahoma Highway Patrol said the accidents started when an SUV completely stopped in the far right lane.
“Another SUV swerved to avoid striking it, hitting it and spinning out in the roadway,” Trooper Michael Lane said.
From that point, it was like dominoes; seven vehicles altogether, including a motorcycle, hitting one after the other.
It reduced traffic on westbound I-240 to one lane, an area accidents this big are rare.
“Usually collisions are on the eastbound traveled portion of I-240 for people going to Tinker and different places out east to work.” Trooper Lane said.
The only injury was the motorcyclist; he was wearing a helmet but died a short time later.
The vehicle that started it all fled the scene.
Police are now looking for a dark-colored SUV with significant damage on the left back end.
It was last seen heading south on Sooner Road from I-240 around 5:45 a.m.
If you’ve seen the SUV you can call the highway patrol at (405) 425-2323.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'