Mystery solved in North Carolina hotel deaths
BOONE, N.C. – Authorities said they believe they have solved the mystery surrounding the recent deaths at a Boone, North Carolina, hotel.
Within a matter of months, three people were found dead inside the hotel’s safe room.
The last victim was discovered Saturday.
An 11-year-old boy and his mother were found unresponsive.
The boy died and his mother was barely alive.
An elderly couple was found dead in the same safe room in April.
Boone police said preliminary autopsy information for the elderly couple was inconclusive.
Their deaths remained a mystery until now.
N.C. Police Capt. Andy LeBeau Boon said, “It was just within the past 24 hours that the toxicology reports had become available indicating that there was a lethal level of carbon monoxide, as a matter of fact, 60 percent in their blood level.”
Authorities said elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found in the room Saturday.
Investigators are still working to figure out how the odorless gas got there.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger