5-year-old girl takes on Westboro with lemonade stand
KANSAS CITY, Kan. – A little girl selling lemonade a dollar at a time raised a lot of money for “The Rainbow House” and got more attention that anyone could have guessed.
The Equality House got its share of attention when Jon Hemmet and his organization, Planting Peace, painted the home in rainbow colors right across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church earlier this year.
It also caught the attention of a 5-year-old Kansas City girl, Jayden Sink.
Jayden’s dad, Jon Sink, said, “She saw pictures of it and thought it was the most beautiful house in the world.”
That’s when Jayden decided to set up a lemonade stand at the Equality House to raise money for peace.
A simple idea that became much more complicated in the days after her sale which raised $13,000 and counting.
The Westboro Baptist Church is fighting back with its usual anti-gay message.
“Jayden and I went out there to raise money for planting peace, to spread love to spread compassion,” Jon said. “Our mission was not to stand up to the Westboro Baptist Church.”
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger