Obesity now officially a disease, not just condition
Is being overweight a condition or a disease?
According to the American Medical Association, obesity is now officially a disease.
The decision was made at the group’s annual meeting in Chicago.
AMA members said obesity is a disease that requires medical treatment and prevention.
Previously, being severely overweight was officially referred to as a “major public health problem,” not a disease.
The medical board said recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles the complex issue that affects about one in three Americans.
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- TRAGIC: Man dies from injuries after being hit with his own vehicle
- Sandwich Suspension: 2-year-old girl punished by daycare over cheese sandwich
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online