Nelson Mandela in critical condition following lung infection
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – Nelson Mandela’s health is deteriorating and he is now in critical condition, according South African officials.
President Jacob Zuma said he visited the Nobel Peace Prize winner Sunday and was told Mandela’s condition had become critical over the last 24 hours.
Mandela was taken to the hospital June 8 for a recurring lung infection.
He was jailed for 27 years by the Apartheid government and got tuberculosis during that time.
The 94-year-old leader has not appeared in public since South Africa hosted the World Cup in 2010.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom