Teen critical after accidentally shooting self in mouth
LOGAN COUNTY, Okla. – A teenager remains in the hospital after investigators said he stuck a gun in his mouth and it accidentally went off.
The incident happened over the weekend in Logan County near Waterloo and Post Rd.
The Sheriff’s Office is not releasing the same of the 15-year-old victim.
The teen didn’t think the gun was loaded at the time of the shooting.
Officials responded to the call from a mobile home park on the 9600 block of E. Waterloo where a person was suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
When officers arrived, they found a 15-year-old boy who was seriously injured.
The boy was able to speak to officers and let them know he was not trying to kill himself.
At this point, officials are claiming this shooting an accident with potential of having suspicious circumstances.
However, after speaking with the teen and a friend who were together at the home when the gun went off, the sheriff’s office has no reason to believe this wasn’t an accident.
Logan County Sheriff’s Capt. Richard Stephens said, “The other young man at the scene told him to make sure the gun was unloaded, the young man was so certain that it was already unloaded that he put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger.”
The teen’s condition is still critical Tuesday.
The investigation is still ongoing.
Sheriff’s office officials said it is against the law for an unsupervised juvenile to have a firearm.
Officials said there were two kids unattended at this trailer at the time of the shooting and investigators are trying to track down both sets of parents.
Authorities said supervision of children with guns is critical and they should be stored appropriately.
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online
- Doll with 'real' body proportions gains support, crowd funded in just 24 hours