Students loan rates to double, no deal reached
WASHINGTON – Senators failed once again to reach a deal to bring down student loan rates.
Wednesday, republicans and some democrats blocked the White House-backed proposal that would have restored 3.4 percent interest rates on subsidized student loans for one more year.
Unless congress tries again, this failure means students could be borrowing money for fall courses at 6.8 percent, an interest rate leaders in both parties are calling unacceptably high.
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'