Update on Service Interruption for Dish Subscribers — Click here
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

Neighbor warns family about fire in attic, no injuries reported

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
house fire

OKLAHOMA CITY– A neighbor is being called a hero after he warned a woman and her daughter about a fire inside their home.

Authorities say around 1:15 a.m. Friday, a neighbor driving by saw smoke and flames coming from the attic of a duplex near N.W. 22nd St. and Barnes.

He called firefighters and decided he wasn’t going to wait for emergency crews to wake up the family.

“I started pounding on the door. She opened the door and I said, ‘You’ve gotta get out. There’s smoke coming from your attic and fire,” said Grant Johnson. “She gets the little girl and the dog starts running around the house. I told her ‘Get your dog and let’s go cuz it’s about to start getting heavy in here.”

The mother, daughter and her dog made it out of the home without any injuries.

Fire crews say the flames were mostly contained to the attic, so there’s hardly any damage to the inside of the duplex.

At this point, they believe the cause was electrical.