OKLAHOMA CITY– Many families have their children’s school supply lists in hand but are putting off getting those back-to-school immunizations.
Most children entering kindergarten will need the following required vaccines:
- Second dose of MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine)
- 4th dose of polio
- 5th dose of DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccines)
- 2nd dose of Varicella (recommended)
Students entering 7th grade are required to have a Tdap booster shot.
The Oklahoma State Department of Health also encourages parents to consider the following two vaccines for their preteens and teens:
- HPV (human papillomavirus virus vaccine)
- MCV4 (meningococcal virus vaccine)
For more information on immunization clinics, visit the Oklahoma City-County Health Department’s website.