Lightning strikes gas meter causing fire, evacuations
OOLOGAH, Okla. – A lightning strike forced and evacuation of more than 40 homes in Rogers County Tuesday night.
Fire officials said lightning hit a power line which fell onto a natural gas meter.
Three meters went up in flames, forcing emergency personnel to evacuate a four-block area.
Officials said fire damage was limited to a fence and flatbed trailer.
Residents have been allowed back in their homes.
About 20 of them don’t have natural gas service as of Wednesday morning.
Crews will be back in the area later in the day to finish safety checks in the remaining homes so service can be restored.
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- Oklahoma part of major beef recall, see if your neighborhood grocery store made the list
- PHOTO: Oklahoma Gov. daughter responds to photo stirring up controversy online
- GRAPHIC LANGUAGE: Okla. Air Force Base declares controversial steak restaurant "off limits"