Update on Service Interruption for Dish Subscribers — Click here
Follow storms on KFOR live interactive radar

Lightning strikes gas meter causing fire, evacuations

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Oologah lightning gas meter fire

OOLOGAH, Okla. – A lightning strike forced and evacuation of more than 40 homes in Rogers County Tuesday night.

Fire officials said lightning hit a power line which fell onto a natural gas meter.

Three meters went up in flames, forcing emergency personnel to evacuate a four-block area.

Officials said fire damage was limited to a fence and flatbed trailer.

Residents have been allowed back in their homes.

About 20 of them don’t have natural gas service as of Wednesday morning.

Crews will be back in the area later in the day to finish safety checks in the remaining homes so service can be restored.