Red Cross launches new volunteer app in wake of tornadoes
OKLAHOMA CITY – The American Red Cross has launched a new app in an effort to get help to those in need faster.
The app allows people to sign up to volunteer, find out the basic tasks and needs and get notifications about future volunteer opportunities.
“When people see an emergency happening in their community, they often want to help but may not know how,” Ken Garcia said, Central and Western Oklahoma Red Cross regional spokesman. “The Team Red Cross App provides an easy and quick way for people to sign up to help the Red Cross and support their community.”
Users just download the app, sign up and then can learn about different jobs, such as working in a warehouse, handing out supplies or assisting with feeding.
When the Red Cross responds to an event and needs volunteers, the Team Red Cross App notifies all those who have signed up to see if they would like to help.
The free app is available for iPhone and Android smart phones and tablets.
- A quick orientation right on the mobile device.
- Ability for people to share notifications for volunteers with their social network.
- Earn digital “badges” by completing a job test, accepting a job, sharing the app, recruiting volunteers, etc. The “badges” can then be shared with their social network.
- Allows people to donate money to the Red Cross and sign up to donate blood.
- Offers emergency response information that people can share with their friends at the touch of a button.
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- 'Super' exercise helps mother lose 110 pounds, secret in 'core'
- UPDATE: Crews find body investigating carbon monoxide leak at home in northwest Oklahoma City
- GRAPHIC: Oklahoma man said he found his stolen mule tied to tree, starved to death