Okla. hospitals rank in Consumer Reports ‘best and worst’ study
Planning to have surgery soon? Consumer Reports has put together a list of “best and worst” hospitals across the country.
They list things like where you are most likely to get an infection and what hospitals scored the highest success rates.
If you are scheduling a surgery, Consumer Reports said the hospital you choose can make a big difference.
So where do Oklahoma hospitals rank in this study?
Top 3 Oklahoma hospitals that ranked highest in study:
- McBride Clinic Orthopedic Hospital
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South Campus
Oklahoma Surgery Centers that ranked in “Worst” category in study:
- Comanche County Memorial Hospital
- Muskogee Regional Medical Center
- St. John Medical Center in Tulsa
MORE: See full list of best and worst hospitals in study
They analyzed three years of Medicare billing records from nearly 2,500 hospitals with the help of the healthcare consulting firm MPA.
This analysis covered 27 kinds of common surgeries including knee and hip replacements, back surgery and procedures to clear blocked arteries.
Officials rated hospitals based on the percent of Medicare patients undergoing who died or were hospitalized longer than expected, which they said could indicate complications.
Consumer Reports said they know the ratings aren’t a perfect measurement but they said they believe it is an important first step in giving patients the information needed to make an informed decision.
- Oklahoma father finds mother, 3-year-old daughter dead in garage, saves 5-year-old son
- UPDATE: Did one of Oklahoma's famous couples find another home in a different state?
- Woman's car payments hid her death for 6 years, body found mummified in backseat of car
- Man sues McDonald's for $1.5 million over napkin incident