Tinker employees now only taking 6 furlough days instead of 11
TINKER AIR FORCE BASE – Department of Defense employees got some good news on the furloughs Tuesday.
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced furloughs for workers would be cut to 6 days instead of the 11 mandated earlier.
Employees will take their last furloughs next week instead of late September.
CNN’s article by Jennifer Liberto reported Hagel won the reprieve by finding ways to cut spending in other areas.
Just fewer than 700,000 defense workers have been taking one unpaid day off each week since July 8.
The furlough days will cut employees’ wages about 20 percent for the three months required; July, August and September.
According to CNN, the savings from 11 furlough days was about $1.8 billion, a sliver of the $40 billion the Pentagon had to cut as part of the sequester.
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Parent's worst nightmare caught on camera as alleged burglar breaks into nursery
- WATCH: Why you don't take a 'selfie' right next to a moving train
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring