OSBI: Grandmother confirmed as victim in Coleman murder/suicide
OKLAHOMA CITY – The medical examiner has confirmed the woman murdered near Coleman is 75-year-old Arleeta Whitmire, 14-year-old Ross Whitmire’s grandmother.
Authorities said a neighbor was trying to deliver fresh watermelon and tomatoes Monday when she found the grandmother’s body with a gunshot to the head in a house at 11700 Highway 48 South, just outside Coleman in Johnston County.
A short time later, Johnston County authorities found her grandson, 14-year-old Ross Whitmire, dead in a home just feet away with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
The neighbor who found her friend’s body said she is still in disbelief.
“It was terrible, really terrible,” neighbor Dorothy Cross said. “I could tell by the front porch, well, the blood on the front porch, she was hurt but I never imagined anything like that.”
OSBI officials said they investigating this as a murder/suicide at this time.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger