Common canine disease poses danger to humans as well
MANHATTAN, Kan. – There’s an STD among dogs that also poses a threat to their owners.
“Unfortunately, some of them look clinically fine, they just have the disease,” says Kansas State University veterinarian and Laboratory director Bill Fortney. He says many dog owners don’t know about Canine Brucellosis, an STD spread among the pets.
“It’s considered a sexually transmitted disease but unfortunately it can also spread by licking,” Fortney says.
It’s not just a threat to them – it’s potentially contagious in people and often brings with it an inconsistent fever.
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger