Plumber hailed as hero in taxi cab crash
NEW YORK- A plumber is being hailed a hero after a taxi cab jumped a curb and slammed into a woman in Midtown Manhattan Tuesday.
Witnesses say the cab swerved to avoid a bicyclist and then hit a woman walking on the sidewalk.
The 23-year-old is in critical condition with one leg severed below the knee.
She also has injuries to the other leg.
A plumber working nearby saw the crash and immediately jumped into action.
He took off his belt and made a tourniquet for the woman’s leg before paramedics arrived.
Dr. Mehmet Oz said, “There was a dog leash and a belt. Amazingly, two mundane things you wouldn’t think of but they saved her life. Between the two of them, we were able to stop the bleeding.”
At least two other people, including the bicyclist, were also taken to the hospital with less serious injuries.
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns