In case you missed Miley at the VMAs…
NEW YORK (CNN) - Lady Gaga has taken the MTV Video Music Awards stage covered in (fake) blood; wearing a dress made of meat and as her male alter-ego, Jo Calderone.
But at the 2013 MTV VMAs, Miley Cyrus stole Gaga’s outrageous performance crown.
While Gaga came equipped with multiple costume and wig changes on her side, Cyrus took over the stage with gigantic, dancing bears and more twerking than viewers at home probably knew what to do with.
The 20-year-old pop star stepped out onto the stage a ball of energy, wearing a fuzzy gray leotard, as her hit single, “We Can’t Stop,” played.
An animated and uninhibited performer, Cyrus’ dance moves were a clear departure from her “Hannah Montana” days, (meaning, they involved a crotch grab or two.)
When she reached the end of her song, the singer stripped down to a flesh-toned latex bra and matching underwear and began to perform “Blurred Lines” alongside Robin Thicke.
With Cyrus acting as Thicke’s back-up singer and personal dancer, featured guest stars 2 Chainz and Kendrick Lamar went largely unnoticed.
“Miley better get a … pregnancy test after all of that grinding,” joked comedian Kevin Hart during the show.
Those watching on Twitter weren’t quite sure how to respond.
By far the most common reaction, as demonstrated by a photo of Will Smith’s family seated in the VMAs audience, was shock:
Did you see Miley’s performance? What did you think?
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Oklahoma sisters lose both parents in 48 hours; FFA community rallies behind them
- Feline Fury: Family calls 911, says 'fat, angry' cat has them trapped in bedroom
- 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin's final words revealed
- FIRES: Wildfires are sparking across the metro, crews stressing caution during high fire danger