Police identify child killed outside elementary, driver not cited
TULSA, OK–Police in Tulsa have identified the 4-year-old girl who was hit and killed in front of an elementary school Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities say Emmalee Halstead was headed to see her brother get off the school bus at Park Elementary School with her mother when the accident occurred.
They say the family was just inside the parking lot entrance when the child ran in front of an oncoming car.
Officers say the driver couldn’t see the girl and will not likely face any charges.
In a statement obtained by KJRH, Tulsa Public Schools Superintendent Keith Ballard said the following:
“While we believe there is little that could have been done to prevent this tragedy, we want to urge drivers to be cautious when driving near schools and crosswalks. They need to give their full attention to the road and be mindful of children and their surroundings at all times.”
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns