OKLAHOMA CITY – Many people will be celebrating the end of summer this weekend but there are a few things families should be aware of to make the holiday safe and enjoyable.
When traveling, experts suggest families do the following:
- Carry an emergency supply kit in your trunk.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Let someone know your destination, your route and when you expect to arrive.
- Buckle up and observe speed limits.
When swimming, families should do the following:
- Check weather and water conditions beforehand and throughout the day.
- Always swim with a buddy in a designated swimming area supervised by a lifeguard.
- Provide constant supervision to children in or near the water and always stay within arm’s reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
- Young children and inexperienced swimmers should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
If you are grilling outside, experts say you should:
- Keep the grill away from the house, tree branches or anything that could catch fire.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.