DEQ has warning for Labor Day lake goers
Many of you will be heading to the lake later for the long Labor Day weekend.
But before you go, the Department of Environmental Quality is warning everyone to take precautions.
There are bacteria and viruses in our rivers and lakes that could make you sick.
To make sure you and your family stay germ free this holiday weekend, the DEQ is offering this advice.
- Hold your nose or wear nose plugs when jumping into the water.
- Wash open cuts and scrapes with clean soap and water immediately after swimming.
- Avoid swallowing water.
- Wear ear plugs to prevent ear infections.
- Wear swim goggles or masks to prevent eye infections.
- Avoid swimming near storm drains, there could be contaminated water carried from the streets.
- Take children to the restroom frequently and use swim diapers on infants.
- Stay away from any area that has floating debris, stagnant water and oil sheens, basically any water that’s is visibly not clean.