Patriots thanked at Okla. golf course on Labor Day
EDMOND, Okla. – Those hitting the Links golf course this Labor Day weekend are being asked to donate a minimum of $1.
The money will benefit the “Folds of Honor” foundation which helps families of deceased or disabled war veterans.
It is in the name of patriotism that they’re playing golf this Labor Day weekend on this course and almost 5,000 others around the country.
“It is a great day to come out and celebrate and remember that 1 percent out there defending the other 99 percent of us each and every other day,” Dan Rooney said, Folds of Honor Foundation Founder.
Labor Day weekend is also Patriot Golf Day Weekend.
Six years old, the Fold of Honor Foundation’s charity golf weekend covers the entire country.
Chris Jarrett, Director of Golf at the Patriot Golf Course, said, “We began with just a can on the counter, a $1 donation per round was a request not a demand. To see that grow to where we are now with millions of dollars being raised for military families, it is just an incredible feeling.”
Golfers are asked to donate whatever they can before teeing up.
U.S. Navy veteran Larry Moylan said, “They gave so much, it is so little for us to pull, $5, $10, $20, $50 out of our pockets and say thank you, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, because we’re free because of them.”
For the Folds of Honor founder, a PGA pro and Oklahoma Air National Guard Major, he often hears from those that benefit from this weekend.
Rooney said, “One of our recipients said it best; she is a widow and has five children that are all recipients of Fold of Honor, when she said she looks at every dollar and every golfer as a small thank you for the sacrifice that her husband made for our country and for the freedoms we enjoy each and every other day.”
- VIDEO: Why this video is making people believe in ghosts
- Authorties unveil massive Oklahoma crime ring
- Toddler argues with mother over cupcakes; 'Listen, listen, listen, Linda!'
- Hilarious! Don't you wish this was your flight attendant? We do!
- UPDATE: Boyfriend and neighbors shaken up about woman accused of killing 6 newborns