St. Bernard Parish, La.- The Centers for Disease Control have confirmed that there is a dangerous brain-eating amoeba in certain parts of the Louisiana water system.
The findings come after a 4-year-old boy died last week from complications of the amoeba.
St. Bernard Parish is flushing its water lines with chlorine as a precaution.
Health experts say once you are infected, the parasite can turn fatal in between one to 12 days.
State officials say the water is safe to drink but are telling residents to be cautious until thorough is testing is complete.
They are warning people to not get the water in their nose because that is the direct route to the brain.