The top 5 considerations when choosing a family companion
ORLANDO, FL,- Jennifer Shryock, a certified Dog Behavior Consultant, explains the top five things to consider before choosing a new family dog.
Jennifer has over 15 years of hands on experience working with dogs and families in a wide variety of environments
“What kind of dog is right for you family?”
- Family Decisions and Research Activity- The Most Important thing about choosing a dog is what your family thinks. The entire family should be a part of this decision. Also, research is vital to choosing the right breed of dog for your family.
- Puppy vs. Adult- You have to decide whether adopting a puppy or an adult dog is right for your family.
- Energy Level of the Dog and Your Lifestyle- Make sure you have the time in your schedule for the dogs needs. From walking to feeding, the dog you choose will come with different needs depending on the energy level of the dog that you need to make sure you are ready for.
- Size of the Dog and it’s Needs- You will need to consider the size of the dog and what that size pet will require. For example, If you have an apartment, don’t get a dog that requires a large backyard and needs to run around.
- Grooming Needs- You should consider the grooming needs of whichever breed you choose. For example, research which dogs shed and which dogs require regular grooming.
“Make sure that you choose a dog based on your needs and abilities, and you will be rewarded with years of love and affection, but choose wrongly and you will have years of misery,” Says Jennifer.